2008年4月30日水曜日

Mr Arudou, "the Japanese police System Today" tells a different story

Arudou Debito
:The comment has been blocked

Oliver Says
April 17th, 2008 at 9:14 am



Mark, I think you are right about policemen having no foreign friends. I wonder how often they make a trip abroad, or even a bit further away. A few years ago I read “The Japanese Police System Today” by L. Craig Parker (M E Sharpe, 2001), and the author knew the chief of the Okayama Prefecture's Police quite well - and what I remember is, that this police chief was not even allowed to leave Okayama Prefecture in his free time! (Sorry, I don’t have the book here now, so cannot give page numbers.)
So if the police bosses cannot even travel through Japan, how should they get to know even foreign countries?
魚拓


Mr. I went to the library and borrowed the book for you. I checked the pages the author mentioned Okayama. Yes the author knows the chief of the Okayama Prefectural Police quite well. But the story is completely different from the one Debito's fans would have people believe. Let me cite some:
Okayama Prefecture, in the western part of Japan, is around five hundred miles below Tokyo and was chosen for research in par because of the author's friendship with a former chief of the Okayama Prefecture Police. The friend, an NPA senior superintendent, had been chief in Okayama for two years in the late 1990's, but had been reassigned on normal rotating basis to a new assignment as the director of public security in Tokyo. This was one of several assignments he had taken during his career when he was "on loan" to another agency--in this case the Ministry of Justice .page 105

There is no mention that he was not allowed to leave Okayama.(That is the stupidest things I've ever heard.)
Mr. have you really read the book? On page 111, the author talks about his interpreter from prefectural headquarter in Okayama
He was a classical music buff and he performed in a major chorea group. He lamented the fact that he had missed an opportunity, because of a police assignment, to perform with his chorale at Carnegie Hall in New York city. ...His career had required him to visit the United States on a number of occasions to coordinate with the FBI and various American police forces on international criminal investigations.

The author ends up the section about Okayama by saying
During the visit to the Okayama region an incident occurred to the author that reflects one of the memorable features of Japanese people that get replayed thousands of times annually for the benefit of gaijin or visitors. Having stopped for a brief lunch on a twenty-mile bike tour of the surrounding countryside, I pulled out a map at my table to try to locate my position. I asked for the assistance of young Japanese man in his twenties at the adjacent table. ....He not only offered assistance, but dashed to his car to get a more detailed map of his own so he could draw a clear map of my route. I thanked him, and we both headed out onto the road. After I had been biking a mile or so he drove up beside me and stopped He apologized for having made a mistake on one of the turns he had drawn on the map and wanted to set me straight. This Japanese penchant for being helpful is very widespread....(page 120)

It is not about the Police system but it gives a totally different perspects of Japan from the one Debito's fans enjoy
Now as for the Police System, the author says in "Conclusion" on page 237
Despite the blemishes of the record of the Japanese police in the late 1990's, I continue to hold the policy agency in high regard. No system in the world
is without its flaws, and while the National Police Agency and its sister prefectural police agencies may have let their guard down, I expect that the handful of police abuses and blunders will be corrected. I do not believe that these abuses and missteps , regardless of their widespread, well-publicized notoriety, are symptomatic systemic breakdown In general throughout my writing I have both explicitly and implicitly made clear my high regard for both the police system itself and its parallel criminal justice institutions. They will regain the confidence of the Japanese public over time.(page 237)

And the author goes on pointing out the lessons that the United States can learn from Japanese police sytem.

I don't agree with everything the author says, but he is fair.

Do you want me to check the U.S. police's abuse and missteps? I am asking this because if Japanese police system,--- though I agree there are defects in it----is the fascist Disney land as Debito's fans claim, which state's police system is not fascist Disney land?

Is every police sytsem around the world Fascist Disney land?---are Debito's fans a cult member?
What do you guys think you can do to change Japan for the better?・・・・・by misquoting? by covering up the facts? by misinterpreting, by misrepenting, by blocking comments? by blocking the offer to help, by rejecting a dialgue, by suppressing the truth?
Just want to insult Japan? Just want to let steam out?

0 件のコメント: